Re: [Exim] Looking at Exim for anti-spam filtering

Author: Jeffrey Goldberg
To: Lorens Kockum
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Looking at Exim for anti-spam filtering
On 2 Feb 2000, Lorens Kockum wrote:

> >personally I am quite happy to use
> >
> > 554 Transaction failed
> >
> >for errors after DATA. After all, that's what happened!
>
> Ummm. Well [...]

> But none of the two have the right meaning, so one or the other
> is a minor point ... I suppose son of 821 will have something
> better, that at least should not be difficult.

From section 4.2.2 of http://www.imc.org/draft-ietf-drums-smtpupd

   550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable
      (e.g., mailbox not found, no access, or command rejected
      for policy reasons)

And

4.2.5 Reply Codes After DATA and the Subsequent <CRLF>.<CRLF>

[...]

When an SMTP server returns a permanent error status (5yz) code after
the DATA command is completely with <CRLF>.<CRLF>, it MUST NOT make
any further attempt to deliver the message. As with temporary error
status codes, the SMTP client retains responsibility for the message,
but SHOULD not again attempt delivery to the same server without user
review and intervention of the message.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg                +44 (0)1234 750 111 x 2826
 Cranfield Computer Centre      FAX         751 814