Re: [Exim] local-part testing

Author: Neil Blakey-Milner
To: Nigel Metheringham
CC: uk, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] local-part testing
On Wed 2000-02-02 (12:07), Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> uk@??? said:
> > I am not subscribed to this list but I got an important question:
>
> This is rather poor list etiquette.

I'd like to know why you think that. I'm on any number of lists,
and some hate non-subscribers (or even subscribers who mail from
addresses that are different from their subscription address), some
don't mind, others openly advertise that you don't have to subscribe.

FreeBSD-questions gets about 320 mails a day, so subscribing to
ask a question isn't an option for most people.

Another thing that's interested me is lists that set Reply-To to
the list, or lists whose members get agro when you group-reply
instead of list-reply. Group-reply makes sense in most cases -
you're answering _that_ person's question, and the list should get
a copy to show what you said (an interesting side-effect is that
the person normally gets his copy of your reply faster by not going
through the list, and gets the list copy a bit later). Of course,
some people complain about getting two copies.

You can't please everyone.

In short, I don't think it is "rather poor list etiquette", but
rather a "we would prefer if you subscribed".

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
nbm@???