Re: [Exim] mbx locking

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Nigel Metheringham
CC: Ray Miller, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] mbx locking
On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> I guess that on MBX mailboxes, the mailbox is locked for a "reasonable"
> length of time for delivery/reading,

I'm not convinced why it should be exclusively locked for updating any
more than other kinds of mailbox. (When I say "locked", I don't just
mean a simple lock on the file - the mechanism involves two files and is
quite contorted.)

However, as experiments seem to show that the other way works, I'm happy
to go for it. Are there any systems on which F_SETLKW does not exist? It
seems to be present on those I have checked.

I guess there may be an improvement in doing locking for non-mbx files
this way too.