Re: [Exim] Performance bottleneck scanning large spools.

Author: John P Connor
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Performance bottleneck scanning large spools.

> No. One queue runner runs one delivery process for one message and waits
> for it to finish before starting a new process for the next message.[*]
> In other words, it "walks the queue", message by message. All the code
> for routing, retrying, etc. is in the delivery process, not the queue
> runner. The delivery process may deliver to any number of remote or
> local destinations (maybe using subprocesses). Or it may defer some
> addresses, if retry times have not been reached. Exim's queue is not
> organized by domain or remote host. It is just a pile of messages
> awaiting delivery. Each may have multiple recipients.

When I had a HUGE queue (86,000) last week, I managed to overcome it (or at
least I think I did) by queueing everything with queue_only & running
exim -q once a minute, together with 5 exim -R 200 to force through mail I'd
re-written to a local host (with 200 in its name). This seemed to work
pretty well. Running exiwhat now and again told me there were quite a few
exims which were "running queue: waiting for <message id>".

Is this a good or bad strategy do you think?

Cheers

John