[Exim] locking: documentation seems out of sync

Author: Peter Galbavy
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] locking: documentation seems out of sync
Another one:

The documentation at spec_15.html#SEC432 talks about the default values of
the three locking types. My reading or it is that is the transport is to
deliver in mbx_format then use_mbx_lock is 'yes' and the other two types are
'no'. This doesn't appear to be the case for me in the following instance:

I have a forwardfile director that has file_transport set to "address_file"
which did look like this:

address_file:
driver = appendfile
current_directory = LOOKUP_BOXDIR
delivery_date_add
envelope_to_add
return_path_add
mbx_format

But it failed to deliver to am open imap mailbox, and debug level 9 showed
it not foind an MBX style lock but a hitching post (and?) a fcntl one.
Adding 'use_mbx_lock' made it try to gain both a hitching post and fcntl,
but the commentary claimed MBX this time. Finally, adding 'no_use_lockfile'
and 'no_use_fcntl' made it work perfectly:

address_file:
driver = appendfile
current_directory = LOOKUP_BOXDIR
delivery_date_add
envelope_to_add
return_path_add
no_use_fcntl_lock
no_use_lockfile
use_mbx_lock
mbx_format

Am I (a) going mad, (b) are the docs out of sync or (c) is there something
about running a filter that screws things up ?

Is doing the above "safe" when using a c-client derived (very very derived)
pop3 / imap server ?

TIA & Regards,
--
Peter Galbavy