[Exim] "Complex" SMTP AUTH conditions

Author: Peter Galbavy
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] "Complex" SMTP AUTH conditions
I have been trying to do something with SMTP AUTH support for a while, based
on a version of that complex-ish virtual hosting config file I posted a
while back.

My primary problem is that (in the PLAIN authenticator at least - at this
stage) the parameters are placed in $1 and $2 - this causes me a problem as
I am trying to then apply a regex to $1 - and I would assume (maybe
incorrectly) that $2 would be overwritten.

To maybe clarify:

Each "domain" user has their own config file in "LOOKUP_MAILDIR/passwd",
where LOOKUP_MAILDIR is a macro that uses $domain to lookup the home
directory of the domain owner.

Each "local_part" is then checked in the passwd file in that directory.

I already allow people to log into their pop3 and imap accounts using their
full e-mail address (peter.galbavy@??? for me). To allow people to
use the same details for SMTP AUTH I need to split the username on the '@'
using a regex...

This is where I get stuck.

Could I perhaps suggest that the authenticator $1 and $2 are replaces with
something like $a1, $a2, $a3 etc. ? Any other ideas ?

Once I have done this bit, I will happily make the revised config file
available for the curious...

BTW Is there anyway that anyone can see for me to support CRAM with
pre-encrypted passwords ? I don't think that this is possible, but I am
willing to be proved wrong.

Regards,
--
Peter Galbavy