Re: [Exim] Header rewriting - From: fields comment and phras…

Author: Vadim Vygonets
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Header rewriting - From: fields comment and phrase elements
Quoth Philip Hazel on Thu, Jan 13, 2000:
> On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Vadim Vygonets wrote:
> > If you think it's wrong, join the IETF working group which is
> > working on the update of RFC822.
>
> .... for far too long.

Since 1988 (or was it 1899?).

> My reading of the current draft suggests that x@y
> is a valid address.

[BNF snipped]
> Likewise, in the revision of the SMTP protocol, one finds

[quote snipped]

Which means that such addresses will probably become legal soon.
Still, I believe that there is lots of software which does not
support dotless mail domains (or translates them by appending
local domain to them, as in a@bc -> a@???). So even when
they become 100% legal, they probably will still be problematic
for some time.

Vadik.

--
Real software engineers don't debug programs, they verify correctness.
This process doesn't necessarily involve execution of anything on a