Re: [Exim] Performance bottleneck scanning large spools.

Author: Chris Knipe
To: Kai Henningsen
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Performance bottleneck scanning large spools.
On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Philip Hazel wrote:

>Enormous queues are something for which Exim was not designed, I'm
>afraid. It seems to me that the problem discussed in this thread is
>caused by Exim reaching the limit of what it can handle (which, I must
>confess, is far more than I ever envisaged when I started). I'm not an
>expert on discs and their operation, but maybe the best solution (while
>retaining Exim) is somehow to speed up the directory scanning, if that
>is possible.

On queues like this - as mentioned in this thread - won't an dedicated smtp
server with some beefed up software be an better solution anyways ?

Some ISP's in South Africa lately mirged, and with the mirge, the user base
jumped sky high (currently, over 700,000 email accounts alone). Surely
with this type of load on SMTP, shouldn't something like SUN handle this
*ALLOT* better?

Regards
Chris Knipe
Cel: (083) 430 8151
Freelance Internet Developer, Consultant, Administrator & Speaker