Re: [Exim] MBX format mailboxes

Author: Jeffrey Goldberg
To: Scot Elliott
CC: Tom, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] MBX format mailboxes
[mailed and posted]

On Thu, 6 Jan 2000, Scot Elliott wrote:

> Seems like a bug in pine actually.
>
> When you specify "INBOX" as your mailbox (eg. via IMap or in the
> inbox-path .pinerc option), pine does not auto-detect the format of the
> file. If you specify it as a full path (eg. /var/mail/blah) then it does.

Surely it is the IMAP server which should be doing the detecting. As far
as I know, the UW IMAP server does auto detect. I believe that for
Pine INBOXes not accessed by IMAP, Pine may be assuming that mbx files are
in home directories and "From " style mail boxes are in
/var/spool/mail/user)

Anyway, we are far from exim, I am sure that more useful answers will be
found on comp.mail.pine.

What I would be curious to know is whether anyone has used exim with
the tmail as delivery agent. (tmail is a tool that comes with UW-IMAP for
delivery to mailboxes. tmail knows about the same types of mailboxes that
pine and uw-imap know about, autodetects and delivers.)

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg                +44 (0)1234 750 111 x 2826
 Cranfield Computer Centre      FAX         751 814