[Exim] receiver_verify and require_files problem

Author: Peter Radcliffe
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] receiver_verify and require_files problem
I have a couple of directors at the end of my list of directors, the first
for procmail the second for standard local user delivery.

Last night I changed from receiver_verify to receiver_try_verify. All
was working fine before. Today, I started seeing mail getting
queued for some users on my backup MX and looked into it. I was getting
mail fine, as was at least one other person, two others were getting
mail temp refused with unable to check errors;

Running:
exim -d80 -bh <random IP address>
I got;

calling procmail director
require_files = user:/home/user/.procmailrc:
+/usr/local/bin/procmail:!/home/user/.forward
require files uid=27 gid=27 euid=27 egid=27
test existence of /home/user/.procmailrc
required present, EACCES => unknown
Permission denied
restored uid=27 gid=27 euid=27 egid=27
procmail director deferred user
message: file existence defer in procmail director: Permission denied
451 Cannot check <user@???> at this time - please try later

I went back to try_verify and got;

250 Cannot check <user@???> at this time - please try later
accepted unverified

and mail gets through.

The man page for require_files says that if you have an entry without
any forward slashes it gets taken as the user to do the file existance
check as, but here the check is obviously being done as my exim user
(UID 27) instead of "user" which is the first entry in the list ...

When it gets EACCES on ~user/.procmailrc it can't verify and fails.
This is a Bad Thing.

So, whats going on here ? Philip ? This isn't behaving as advertised.

P.

--
pir                  pir@???                    pir@???