Re: [Exim] Performance bottleneck scanning large spools.

Author: Vadim Vygonets
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Performance bottleneck scanning large spools.
Quoth Philip Hazel on Tue, Jan 04, 2000:
> On Tue, 4 Jan 2000, Vadim Vygonets wrote:
>
> > > Fine, a queue runner creates the shared segment, but who updates the
> > > shared segment as messages arrive and depart, so that it reflects
> > > reality when the next queue runner process finds it already exists?
> >
> > No-one, but the queue runner will update it when it wakes up
> > next.
>
> ... er, but in order to do that it has to scan the spool directories to
> find the files, and I thought that was what this whole scheme was trying
> to avoid?

Alright, then... It's possible to have a Master process and
update the Master's list without having shared memory, but using
UNIX domain sockets. But still, I'm not sure it's a nice idea.

Vadik.

--
Prof:    So the American government went to IBM to come up with a data
         encryption standard and they came up with ...