[Exim] Bug in makefile?

Author: Jonathan Hunter
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Bug in makefile?
Hi,

I decided to have a look at what had changed in Exim 3.12 today, and
accordingly unpacked the archive and edited Local/Makefile. This time,
however, I thought I would put a comment on each line I changed, so that in
the future I can grep the file and find out what I have modified. According
to the note at the top of the Makefile this should be fine:

# In Local/Makefiles blank lines and lines starting with # are ignored. It
is
# also permitted to use the # character to add a comment to a setting, for
# example
#
# EXIM_GID=42 # the "mail" group

My comments were of the following form, which I would have thought would be
OK...? :
AUTH_CRAM_MD5=yes    # JMH
AUTH_PLAINTEXT=yes    # JMH

However, when compiling Exim I got the following error:

/bin/sh ../scripts/Configure-eximon
sed -e s?CONFIGURE_FILE?/usr/local/exim/configure       ? \
  -e s?BIN_DIRECTORY?/usr/local/exim/bin        ? \
  -e s?BASENAME_COMMAND?look_for_it? \
  -e s?HOSTNAME_COMMAND?/bin/hostname? \
  -e s?X11_LD_LIBRARY?/usr/X11R6/lib? \
  ../src/eximon.src >> eximon
sed: -e expression #1, char 42: Unterminated `s' command
make[1]: *** [eximon] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/exim-3.12/build-Linux-i386'

As a quick fix, I commented out the EXIM_MONITOR line in Local/Makefile,
thinking that perhaps there was a small bug in the eximon configuration
script, and was then greeted with the following error:

sed -e s?CONFIGURE_FILE?/usr/local/exim/configure       ? \
  -e s?BIN_DIRECTORY?/usr/local/exim/bin        ? \
  -e s?EXICYCLOG_MAX?99 ? \
  -e s?COMPRESS_COMMAND?/bin/gzip       ? \
  -e s?COMPRESS_SUFFIX?gz? \
  -e s?CHOWN_COMMAND?/usr/bin/chown? \
  -e s?CHGRP_COMMAND?/usr/bin/chgrp? \
  -e s?MV_COMMAND?/bin/mv? \
  -e s?RM_COMMAND?/bin/rm? \
  ../src/exicyclog.src > exicyclog-t
sed: -e expression #1, char 42: Unterminated `s' command
make[1]: *** [exicyclog] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/exim-3.12/build-Linux-i386'

At this point, I gave up and moved all my comments onto seperate lines. Then
all was well and it compiled perfectly! :-)

The lines that were modified are as follows:
AUTH_CRAM_MD5=yes
AUTH_PLAINTEXT=yes
BIN_DIRECTORY=/usr/local/exim/bin
COMPRESS_COMMAND=/bin/gzip
ZCAT_COMMAND=/bin/zcat
CONFIGURE_FILE=/usr/local/exim/configure
EXICYCLOG_MAX=99
EXIM_UID=25
EXIM_GID=25
LOG_FILE_PATH=/var/log/exim_%slog
LOOKUP_CDB=yes
LOOKUP_MYSQL=yes
LOOKUP_INCLUDE=-I /usr/local/include/mysql
LOOKUP_LIBS=-L/usr/local/lib/mysql -lmysqlclient
PID_FILE_PATH=/var/run/exim%s.pid
SPOOL_DIRECTORY=/var/spool/exim
USE_DB=yes
DBMLIB=-ldb