RE: [Exim] SMTP AUTH and PAM problems.

Author: Eric Bullen
To: Christof Meerwald, exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] SMTP AUTH and PAM problems.
]
] On Sun, 26 Dec 1999 18:21:46 -0800, Eric Bullen wrote:
] >I am running Exim 3.12 and I can't seem to figure out why PAM support
] >doesn't work correctly. Here's what I know about this one:
]
] >5) The error that I get from exim is "535 Incorrect
] authentication data" and
] >then it asks me to enter in the password again.
] Do you use shadow passwords and exim doesn't run as root?
]
] AFAIK, current versions of Linux-PAM have problems to access shadow
] passwords if the program doesn't run as root...

If anyone was curious, that fixed the problem. Thank you.

Oddly enough, with a packet sniffer, Outlook doesn't even attempt to
authenticate even when it is told to do so, but Outlook Express works
perfectly. If anyone is curious on how to set up SMTP AUTH , I would be more
than happy to assist.

-Eric