Nomenclature wars [was: Re: [Exim] Secondary mail server...]

Author: Chris Thompson
To: exim-users
Subject: Nomenclature wars [was: Re: [Exim] Secondary mail server...]
Onno <Onno@???> writes:
>At 01:32 PM 12/23/99 +0200, Vadim Vygonets wrote:
>>Quoth Onno on Thu, Dec 23, 1999:

>>> Difference?
>>
>>BIND is not the only implementation of DNS server. And MX record
>>is a feature of DNS, not of BIND.
>
>Bind is used in such quantities that they are almost synonyms,

And sendmail is so much the commonest implementation of SMTP that
they are "almost synonyms" as well? I am sure everyone on this
mailing list will agree with that...

In many ways the influence of BIND's position as the commonly
deployed DNS server implementation has effects quite as malign
as that of sendmail on the e-mail world.

Chris Thompson               University of Cambridge Computing Service,
Email: cet1@???    New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QG,
Phone: +44 1223 334715       United Kingdom.