Re: [Exim] host lookup problem

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Steve Haslam
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] host lookup problem
On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, Steve Haslam wrote:

> So actually it looks like it's the IPv6 queries getting retry results
> doing it. And by setting "dns_again_means_nonexist=*.ixl.com" I can
> get the mail through, which is my first priority.

Ah. That's why it worked for me. My Exim is not IPv6 enabled.

> Is this a good thing to do? Maybe Exim should try finding IPv4
> addresses even if IPv6 addresses give a TRY_AGAIN?

This way madness lies. You can't read any meaning into TRY_AGAIN. There
was a time when certain nameservers gave out TRY_AGAIN if you asked them
for MX records. They should get their nameserver fixed.

> (Is there a way I can disable IPv6 addresses without recompiling? I
> don't use them, but I like to stick to the official Debian package...)

No. You have to recompile to remove IPv6 support. At least Debian's
approach of including it will have the effect of flushing out all these
kinds of problem.