Re: [Exim] reject log and configuration options

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Marc Haber
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] reject log and configuration options
On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Marc Haber wrote:

> Would it be possible to have the name of the configuration option that
> caused a reject to happen in the reject log? This would greatly ease
> reject management.

To do this perfectly is tricky because the tests don't always happen at
the time of rejection. For example, when a host connects, various tests
are done (are recipients to be rejected from this host? is AUTH required
for this host? is it on the RBL? are unqualified addresses permitted?
etc) but the rejection doesn't happen till later. Also, it may be as a
result of a combination of more than one test. However, an attempt at
distinguishing the cases is made in the setting of $prohibition_reason
when customized error messages are output, so I suppose that text could
perhaps be added to the reject log. I will put this on the Wish List.

You can always find out what is being tested by running a dummy SMTP
session using -bh, of course.