Re: [Exim] beeing an MX backup for a friend

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: oexel
CC: Exim mailing list
Subject: Re: [Exim] beeing an MX backup for a friend
oexel@??? said:
> - config DNS so that, if his connection is down, mail for his domain
> will arrive at my box;

ie *his* DNS needs your machine in as a lower precedence MX (ie higher
number) than his own mailhost.

> - in my exim config I have to:
> - list his domain in relay_domains

or set relay_domains_include_local_mx (this has a slight risk of
allowing other people to set you up as a backup MX as well, but I've
never seen this be a real problem and its much easier to manage if you
have multiple people you relay for).

>   - define a special set of retry rules for his domain so that mail
> will
>     sit here until his connection comes up instead of returning an
> error
>     message;

Not really, unless your normal retry rules are very short, or you are
expecting the target machine to disappear for days at a time. The only
thing is you might want to have a shorter backoff, so that you retry
connections to him (say) every 15 minutes rather than backing off to
several hours.

> my questions are:

> - is this what is called an "MX backup"?

pretty much - there are a number of terms around for this configuration.

> - is there a 'standard' set of retry rules for this situation?

not that I have seen... I would personally probably use something like

domain    *     F,8h,15m;F,8d,30m;

[try every 15 minutes for 8 hours, then attempt every 30 minutes for up
to 8 days]
However there are lots of issues of resource handling, how the target
box behaves etc that will modify how you want to do this.

> - is there a way for his box to send me a request for a queue run as
> soon as its connection is re-established?

Not really - it might be possible to do something with ETRN command,
however you need to test this out...

> - is there anything more to be done? how would exim handle the
> following
>   situation: a domain called domain.com has two 'MX backups' like in..
>     @  IN  MX  10 mail.domain.com
>     @  IN  MX  20 mail.friend-a.com
>     @  IN  MX  20 mail.friend-b.com
>   if mail.domain.com is unavailable, then mail.friend-a.com has to
> know
>   that it should wait for mail.domain.com to come up instead of
> sending
>   messages to mail.friend-b.com thus creating a loop!

The RFCs say that you only send mail on to a host with a lower MX value
than yourself (and you try to send it to the lowest available MX host).
So you do not get a loop with equal value backups.

    Nigel.
[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham@??? ]