Re: [Exim] *Official* exim rpm

Top Pagina
Auteur: Dr Andrew C Aitchison
Aan: nbecker
CC: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] *Official* exim rpm
On 2 Dec 1999 nbecker@??? wrote:

> I think we can really help to encourage the usage of exim in the linux
> community if an RPM package was available at the exim.org site. I
> propose that exim.spec together with the three small patches be
> included in a packaging subdirectory of the exim tar. Also, maybe a
> place to put the source RPM can be provided on the exim.org site.
>
> Mark Bergsma <mark@???> has already provided an
> excellent RPM package that I'm using with RH6.1. The only thing I
> would personally change is that the default config file uses procmail
> - I suggest the default should be simpler and have fewer external
> dependencies.

The config file is exactly the problem with a "package".
***First of all the package *must not* change an existing config file.***
The only config I would consider acceptable to install if none is present
is one which turns off mail entirely, or one which doesn't talk to *any*
other machines; in both cases it should says so loudly whenever
appropriate (ie when started, stop, or talked to).

An exim package fosters the belief that you need no knowledge to install
an MTA. This is a *bad* idea. There is no way an automatic install can
know about your setup, and you can't really make sensible choices
with information from configuration install-script help files; you
do need to read a book or a manual (the exim manual is good and easy to
read).

One large market for a package would be dialup users with a single system;
this is a use of exim of which Phil has said he has no experience.
Unless Redhat are in a position to support such users, I think a package
should default to no off-machine mail, and it should be left to ISPs to
supply an appropriate config file (or tool to build one).

Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison        Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
A.C.Aitchison@???    http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna