RE: Support for RPM packages (was: Re: [Exim] Segfault when …

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Eric Bullen
To: Vadim Vygonets, exim-users
Betreff: RE: Support for RPM packages (was: Re: [Exim] Segfault when running newaliases)
] Quoth Jim Knoble on Sat, Nov 20, 1999:
] > Noting what RPM package you installed, where you got it, and who
] > packaged it can also be useful information.
]
] That's what I hinted at in my previous message. Somehow I got
] the idea that there is more than one RPM package for at least
] some versions of Exim. I may be wrong, but then, who knows, I
] may be right.
]
] > If you discover through the querying process that you can't tell who
] > the person (or company or group) is who built the package, or
] that they
] > no longer exist at the given address, then you should reconsider
] > whether you want a package from an unknown source on your system.
]
] This is actually a bad thing about RedHat. No quality control
] applies to contributed RPMs, and non-contributed RPMs are not
] enough to build a usable system.
]
] > If you discover through the querying process that you yourself are the
] > person who built the package,
] [snip]
]
] Now this is The One True Way to discover that you are the
] maintainer, isn't it?
]
] > [These comments are not particularly on topic for exim, but it's
] > obvious that many folks don't know how to efficiently get the
] help they
] > need. Perhaps this info ought to make it's way into exim's
] FAQ or some
] > other similar document. It's really only common sense, but
] there is an
] > unfortunately large and increasing number of folks with net access
] > nowadays who appear to lack that key skill which used to be
] so critical
] > for human survival.]
]
] Survival FAQ, anyone?
]

All I can do here is laugh. My question was really quite simple:

What within the exim configuration parameters could cause newaliases to
segfault.

All I can say is 'WOW'. From all the mails (except for just a few) that I
have read regarding this, the feeling that I got was how the 'common folk'
of the internet need serious guidance, and "OH, I AM SOOO EVIL.", blah,
blah, blah. Basically, what this means to me is that some people that have
replied are completely self absorbed that they forget their roots - yes, I
hate to break the bad news, but we all start from zero, and with the
kindness of others, and alot of perseverance, we can improve our skills. I
see myself as someone that is pretty well versed with network firewalls, and
when someone has a question, I am eager to help out - to share what I have
learned, so they don't walk around in the dark. Personally, if I flamed
these people, it would be a pretty cheap shot.

Anyway, that's it. Perhaps we've all had a bad day. I hope that is the case.

-Eric