Re: Support for RPM packages (was: Re: [Exim] Segfault when …

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Vadim Vygonets
To: exim-users
Betreff: Re: Support for RPM packages (was: Re: [Exim] Segfault when running newaliases)
Quoth Jim Knoble on Sat, Nov 20, 1999:
> Noting what RPM package you installed, where you got it, and who
> packaged it can also be useful information.

That's what I hinted at in my previous message. Somehow I got
the idea that there is more than one RPM package for at least
some versions of Exim. I may be wrong, but then, who knows, I
may be right.

> If you discover through the querying process that you can't tell who
> the person (or company or group) is who built the package, or that they
> no longer exist at the given address, then you should reconsider
> whether you want a package from an unknown source on your system.

This is actually a bad thing about RedHat. No quality control
applies to contributed RPMs, and non-contributed RPMs are not
enough to build a usable system.

> If you discover through the querying process that you yourself are the
> person who built the package,

[snip]

Now this is The One True Way to discover that you are the
maintainer, isn't it?

> [These comments are not particularly on topic for exim, but it's
> obvious that many folks don't know how to efficiently get the help they
> need. Perhaps this info ought to make it's way into exim's FAQ or some
> other similar document. It's really only common sense, but there is an
> unfortunately large and increasing number of folks with net access
> nowadays who appear to lack that key skill which used to be so critical
> for human survival.]

Survival FAQ, anyone?

Vadik.

--
To the systems programmer, users and applications serve only to
provide a test load.