Re: [Exim] Replacing sendmail on RH 6.0

Autor: Vadim Vygonets
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Replacing sendmail on RH 6.0
Quoth Stuart Children on Sun, Nov 14, 1999:
> On Sun, 14 Nov 1999 16:28:56 +0200, Vadim Vygonets (vadik@???)
> wrote:
> > Why?
>
> Because.
>
> If you've got a reason why not, please state it - then I explain my
> reasoning better.

It's not standard. Most mailers look for mail in /var/mail,
/var/spool/mail, /usr/spool/mail, or whatever your favorite OS
calls it. The setup we use here is to have our mail partition
automounted in some particular directory, and make /var/mail (or
/var/spool/mail) a symlink pointing there. No need to
reconfigure mailers, and I'm not sure that all of them can be
reconfigured.

> I assume however, that you're referring to the possible
> problems that Otavio alluded to. As I said in my reply to his message, I
> don't have users with names that could cause problems. I just prefer to
> have all the exim things together.

So, have a symlink. And if you prefer keeping it all together,
make your mail directory /var/spool/exim/mail or something,
instead of praying that you won't ever have a user named David
Brown which will insist on having uesrname db.

> [lots of other quoted bits snipped - please do likewise in your replies]

Yes, I usually do. I realized that I didn't snip the unnecessary
quotes a second after I mailed it, but I wasn't quick enough to
stop it before it left my mailserver.

Vadik.

--
It was state of the art, he said.
The art in this case was probably pottery.