Re: [Exim] Replacing sendmail on RH 6.0

Autor: Stuart Children
A: exim-users
CC: Nigel.Metheringham
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Replacing sendmail on RH 6.0
On Sun, 14 Nov 1999 21:00:29 -0500 (EST), Dave C. (djc@???)
wrote:

[snip]
> Now, having said my piece, I will point out that you are free to put
> your files anywhere you want (even if you want to store all mail in
> /tmp or /lib) - I'm just trying to figure out why you are going to such
> great trouble to override the standard/default convention.

I just happened to configure it that way for some reason - I've no idea
why, if you'd asked me at the time, I might have said "just to be
difficult" or "because I can", I might have just come home from the pub
and not been thinking 100%. I didn't post my original message here
because I wanted to flout convention and stick the mail spool in
/var/spool/exim (as I have said numerous times now, I'm quite happy to use
/var/spool/mail, and I will do so once this matter is over) - I posted
because I'd discovered something that I couldn't do: namely, find out
what/how/why was doing the "You have mail" message upon login, and why
that was looking in /var/spool/mail rather than /var/spool/exim.

My choosing to use this odd configuration may not have been that helpful
it setting up exim on the machine in question, but now I've discovered
this "problem", I want to get to the bottom of it. In doing so I'm
learning a fair bit about other bits of my system (namely login) - that's
one of the things I like about Linux.

Anyway, I think that we're agreed that /var/spool/mail should be stuck to.

Cheers,

- Stuart -