Re: [Exim] add/remove header

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Philip Hazel
To: Hans Matzen
CC: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] add/remove header
On Sun, 24 Oct 1999, Hans Matzen wrote:

> Am Sam, 23 Okt 1999 schrieb Vadim Vygonets:
> > Quoth Hans Matzen on Sat, Oct 23, 1999:
> > > I am searching for a possibility to rewrite (add/remove) the
> > > following first line from mails via exim:
> > >
> > >    From aaa@aaa

> > You mean envelope sender (SMTP MAIL FROM), right?
> >

> Yep.

The line

From aaaa@aaa

is not part of an RFC822 message as transmitted over SMTP. It is a
separator line used in traditional UNIX mailboxes which are single files
holding many messages. Exim inserts such a line (via the "prefix"
option) when it writes to such a mailbox using the appendfile transport.
There should not be a "From " line in messages that are actually moving
around.

You can (but should not!) remove the From line from delivered mail by
changing the "prefix" setting.

You can change the envelope sender (aka return path) of a message in
certain circumstances. See the "return_path" option in transports, and
the errors_to option in some directors.

> I have got a local network which is connected only via ppp to the
> internet.
> well, if a local user sends mail to a list of users, some of
> them local and some of them remote, either the local or the remote
> users got wrong addresses in there mail header.

This is a consequence of not using proper world-usable addresses all the
time. It causes a huge amount of effort. I'm afraid I'm not very
sympathetic to the idea of using different local and remote addresses. I
don't see the point of doing it.

> what i want is: rewrite everey local addresses in the header
> concerning the originator of the mail
> if the mail is remote and dont if its not.

See FAQ Q1003.

Government Policy: If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.