Re: [Exim] Everybody doesn't like something ...

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Jeffrey Goldberg
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Everybody doesn't like something ...
On Sat, 2 Oct 1999, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:

> I find the standard NDR
>
> A message that you sent could not be delivered to all of its recipients.
> The following address(es) failed:
>
> dangerously ambiguous. That is, there is a natural (though dispreferred)
> reading of that in which "all" takes wide scope over the "not" That is
> instead of the intended reading
>
>       Not ( Ax (delivered(x))

> some could read that text as
>
>      Ax (Not (delivered(x))

Oh rats! English is notoriously ambiguous - I guess that's why lawyers
make a lot of money. It's much easier to be rigorous in mathematical
notation. How about

A message that you sent could not be delivered to some of its recipients.
The following address(es) failed:

or

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients.
The following address(es) failed:

or

While processing a message that you sent, delivery to the following
address(es) failed: