Re: [Exim] virtual domains local & remote

Author: Peter Radcliffe
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] virtual domains local & remote
Jim Pazarena <exim@???> probably said:
> I have a situation where I host a virtual domain for email and I have
> several addresses setup in a dbm file for local delivery. This works as

Via aliasfile ?

> expected. Now however the customer asks that I forward email to another
> machine if the domain name is prefaced with a specific machine name.
> ex local: admin@???
> forward: messages@???

Do you mean the whole domain "hesyzp.mitvs.org" forwarding to one
remote address ? Specific addresses in it forwarding ?

> I've got a few dozen virtual domains for email and they all stay local and
> work just fine. Forwarding of the above is a little confusing. I can set my

Most people set up virtual domains as aliasfiles, as I assume you've done
using dbm ratehr than flat files from your comment above, and there
are several examples of such in the example configurations.

If you have set up a virtual domain to be delivered to an aliasfile
driver then simply put a remote address into the aliasfile ...

If not, I need somewhat more information about the way you are currently
doing things to best suggest a solution.

> DNS to point the machine name in question's MX record appropriately, but will
> locally delivered email even _look_ at the DNS?

To determine if mail is local or not then the domain has already been
checked against various things, including DNS entries if needed.
If you give a new address via whatever method (smartuser, aliasfile,
whatever) that new address is then treated as a new address which
may be local or remote.

P.

--
pir               pir@???      pir@???      pir@???