Re: [Exim] qualify_domain is also a hostname

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Philip Hazel
Para: Randy Bush
CC: exim users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] qualify_domain is also a hostname
On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, Randy Bush wrote:

> > o Mail sent to "randy" on roam.psg.com should be delivered to
> > randy@??? (i.e. locally) and not to randy@???.
>
> yes. and on the host psg.com, mail should be delivered to the local randy
> on that host.

That one is tricky if "randy" is to be different from "randy@???".
The only way to handle that would be, on the host psg.com, to set

qualify_recipient = the.host.psg.com

and add "the.host.psg.com" to your local_domains setting. But this would
actually be a disaster for any messages that also were sent off the
host, because addresses containing "randy@???" would be
meaningless to others.

> this seems to pretty much do it.  a bit annoying that it produces
>    To: randy@???

You want it just to be

To: randy

? An extract from RFC 822:

     destination =  "To"          ":" 1#address  ; Primary
     address     =  mailbox                      ; one addressee
                 /  group                        ; named list
     mailbox     =  addr-spec                    ; simple address
                 /  phrase route-addr            ; name & addr-spec
     addr-spec   =  local-part "@" domain        ; global address

In other words, an address is required to contain a domain (if you
follow through the "route_addr" definition it is no different). One
reason is again the point about messages that are sent to multiple
recipients. If you mail

To: randy, ph10@???

That To: line as it stands is not particularly helpful to me when I get
my copy of the message.

For these reasons, Exim insists on working only with fully qualified
email addresses.