Re: [EXIM] Exim logging by means of syslog(3)?

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Nigel Metheringham
A: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] Exim logging by means of syslog(3)?
ph10@??? said:
> It seems from the responses that most people want the pid anyway, and
> I am now proposing to use it like this

>   [1234]       one-line message from process 1234
>   [1234-1/4]   first line of four-line message from process 1234
>   [1234-4/4]   fourth line ... etc

I'm not that well up on syslog, but since under some circumstances it
uses UDP as a transport it seems that it is "unreliable" in the sense
that neither messages are not guarenteed to get there and the ordering
of messages is not necessarily maintained.

This might lead to "interesting" effects.

The manual should probably note that syslog may have wierd effects. It
might also be worth noting that on large log files (ie 10's of
megabytes) you may need to tweak syslog to prevent it syncing the file
with each write - on linux this has been seen to make syslog take 90%
plus of CPU time.

    Nigel.
--
[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham@??? ]