Re: [Exim] log clutter

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: vtmue
Para: Philip Hazel
CC: Randy Bush, exim users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] log clutter
On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Randy Bush wrote:
> > personally, i would like at level 7, i.e. i don't want to see them at all,
> > but want the stuff at 5 and 6. but i imagine others might feel otherwise.
> Sigh. It appears there are conflicting views. The resolution may be to
> invent Yet Another Configuration Option - log_queue_runs - which those who
> agree with Randy can turn off. Actually, maybe log_queue_run_level
> should indicate the logging level of these messages.

Hm. From what was mailed across the list by now it is not quite my
impression that many people feel like there is need for a change in the
current log behaviour.

To stress that point again: a log file collects data of process activity
(=WHAT is being done), the log level determines how detailed this activity
(=HOW it is done) should be logged.

So even at the lowest level when usually only crucial information gets
logged a queue run should find it's way into the log (what if not a queue
run is the main activity of a MTA in daemon mode?!)

From my point of view, and in theory, it would rather be logical to have
s/th like:

16:22:28 Start queue run: pid=15594 ended: 16:22:35 local_delivery: 12
frozen: 1 delayed: 2

at the lowest log level, but this is not what we want.

Since Rusty has to patch his exim anyway I really vote for leaving the
general release untouched - at least as long as this seems to be the
cosmetical wish of an individual.

Btw Rusty, it would take you five minutes to change exim(on) code and / or
write a wrapper for viewing the logs.

Regards,
Volker
--
V. T. Mueller     UCC Freiburg, Germany     vtmue (at) uni-freiburg.de

'hello I..' "shut up and reboot" 'hey it wor...' "shut up and hang up"
"my average call time is improving"        from: Dogberts Tech Support