Re: [EXIM] Exim logging by means of syslog(3)?

Author: Peter Radcliffe
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Exim logging by means of syslog(3)?
Philip Hazel <ph10@???> probably said:
> (1) I agree with choice of LOG_INFO and LOG_ALERT suggested above, but
> not with LOG_DEBUG, because that is described as "Messages that contain
> information normally of use only when debugging a program". The only one
> that seems reasonble for rejectlog is LOG_NOTICE - "Conditions that are
> not error conditions, but that may require special handling". The
> rejectlog, however contains copies of message headers. Writing these as
> separate lines could cause them to get interleaved in syslog, possibly
> causing confusion.

Sounds sensible to me.

> (2) What to do about lines longer than 1024 characters. They could just
> be chopped, or written as multiple lines, with the continuations
> starting with some identifying string such as "...".

What about a continuation number, so you can re-assemble a log in the
correct order (with the machine name and the pid this is unique).

> (3) Should the pid be included in every logged line? Judging by the
> syslog entries I've looked at, this will mess up the alignment at the
> start, but may be necessary to disentangle multi-line log entries.

The pid is normally very useful for debugging. I'd like it to be there.

> (4) Presumably Exim's date/time should be chopped off.

This is debatable IMO.
Have it as an option ?

(ipfilter leaves it's own time information in, because it gives it
more accurately than syslog).

P.

--
pir               pir@???      pir@???      pir@???