Re: [Exim] mail server for large sites

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Nigel Metheringham
To: me
CC: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] mail server for large sites
Iqbal,

me@??? said:
> I've been asked to design/setup a mail server for large customer base >
> 500K

I'm getting a little cheesed off. You turn up on the list every couple
of months with a new ISP or similar contract asking either pretty basic
questions that are in the documentation or asking that we do complex
system design for you. Now this list is populated with people who know
a lot about complex mail system design - and certainly includes a few
(of the small number in total in the world) who know from real
experience how to implement mail systems that work in the million user
class. However I certainly do not intend to start giving pin point
detail on how to implement this class of service, especially when much
of the implementation will depend on other details - the type of user
base, the connectivity, the expected volumes and destinations etc.

There are a number of people who do this sort of thing on the list and
will be willing to take consultancy contracts to educate you on the
issues. However I believe you are abusing the good will of the list
members to continually expect us to provide you with answers which you
are apparently being paid to produce.

There is a critical point, I guess somewhere of the order of 100K
users, but it depends on your users and systems, where doing this sort
of thing gets suddenly *much* harder - at least doing it in a way that
scales and is reliable. If you aren't aware of the issues affecting
this, then you probably ought to drop this contract before you get
burned.

BTW its always a sign of a novice user that the from address has no
reasonable full name attached.

    Nigel.
--
[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham@??? ]