[Exim] Re: contrib: testing relaying without learning SMTP

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Ben Smithurst
To: Hugh Sasse
CC: EXIM users list
Betreff: [Exim] Re: contrib: testing relaying without learning SMTP
Hugh Sasse wrote:

> However, Philip tells me not everyone has nslookup. Some FreeBSD
> people have a command called host instead. As far as I can glean
> from the WWW it returns results in the form
> <hostname> is <dotted-quad>
> or it fails with
> Host not found

Hmm. Not recent FreeBSD systems. This is the sort of output you can
expect:

ben@lithium:~$ host magnesium
magnesium.scientia.demon.co.uk has address 192.168.0.2

ben@lithium:~$ host 192.168.0.2
2.0.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA domain name pointer magnesium.scientia.demon.co.uk

ben@lithium:~$ host wobble.scientia.demon.co.uk
Host not found.

I'm not sure about earlier versions, which people do still use. I guess
the only difference from what you said is "has address" in place of
"is". You might also get

foo is a nickname for bar
bar has address 1.2.3.4

If foo just has a cname record.

--
Ben Smithurst            | PGP: 0x99392F7D
ben@??? |   key available from keyservers and