Re: [Exim] Content-Length header?

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Philip Hazel
Para: Paul Slootman
CC: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Content-Length header?
On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, Paul Slootman wrote:

> Well, RFCs discuss on-the-wire protocols and such, and not how messages
> are stored. I don't think e.g. maildir format is described by an RFC?

Aha! So Content-Length: is one of those headers that gets added at "final
delivery" time. Nobody said that before! That suggests it should behave
like Delivery-Date: and Envelope-To: and get removed from messages on
input.

> Hence "line endings" is an abstract thing, it just counts whatever bytes
> are in the body.

Sure, if we are not talking about messages in general, then it's
definable what the size of the body is.

> > Messing with messages isn't really an MTA thing. Whatever the
>
> Then the from_hack should be removed (*), as that is a perfect example of
> messing with the (body of) messages!

Absolutely! It is totally *ridiculous* that MTAs have to be bent to do
this. Whoever started using "From " as a message separator deserves some
kind of everlasting torture...

> The MUA can't, as it can't determine for sure where the next message
> begins (if from_hack is turned off).

Sorry, I was thinking of this header as something in transmission, and
so I thought the *sending* MUA could add it.

> :    configurable header insertion/removal support can be used to
> :    support the Content-Length field, by adding the following
> :    generic attributes to the local transport:
> :
> :        remove_header="Content-Length",
> :        append_header="Content-Length: $body_size"

... which can be done in Exim too, of course (except it's called
$message_body_size).

> Here's something I found while dredging the net for content-length.
> I've included it to show I can relate to your POV :-) It's from
> http://home.netscape.com/eng/mozilla/2.0/relnotes/demo/content-length.html
> which goes on in more depth. In fact, it's almost convinced me :-)

Well, I must confess to feeling worried about relying on a count like
this. I rather agree with

> : This latter format is non-portable, easily-corruptible,

MBX format seems to me to be better, and Exim does support it.

You might like to know that I have on my work list an item to think
about mailbox formats, because somebody else wants MMDF format - where
the separator lines are ^A^A^A^A. Rather than hack in another set of
special options (though you can put the ^A^A^A^A into "prefix", you
can't set up an aaaa_hack) I wondered if I could do something more
generalized for defining separators and "hacks". For a start, I think
modern MUAs don't actually need *every* line beginning with "From " to
be quoted - only those that really look like separators, with the date
and time, etc. So if I can be more cunning with that, very few "From"s
will actually ever need to be quoted.

But I'm busy with other things at the moment.