Re: [Exim] Simple feature request?

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Philip Hazel
To: V Sweeney
CC: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] Simple feature request?
On Fri, 30 Jul 1999, V Sweeney wrote:

> I have the common problem of my mail-que's filling up with frozen messages
> that cannot be delivered/returned because of simple user typo's in the
> mail addresses. I can easily fix the problem for all future messages by
> using a rewrite rule but this still leaves the tens (sometimes hundreds)
> of emails in my messages que that have to be fixed individually since the
> rewrite rules only apply on incoming mail.

> So I was thinking, what would be nice is a new command line option of a
> force resend (eg exim -qf) but which also re-applys all the rewrite rules
> to the mail.

(1) I am unhappy about the use of rewriting rules to solve routing problems.
(Though of course there are precedents - one well-known MTA seems to do
its routing by rewriting.)

(2) This would go wrong if the rewriting rules weren't idempotent,
though I guess in most cases they probably would be.

(3) If the domains in question are local domains, you can change
delivery addresses by making use of new_address in a smartuser director.
Unfortunately, there isn't a similar feature for remote addresses,
though I imagine you might be able to persuade a domainlist router to
route relevant addresses to the local host, and then use self=local to
pass them to the directors.