Re: [Exim] Opinions sought: Exim and MYSQL

Author: Stuart Lynne
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Opinions sought: Exim and MYSQL
In article <E1169PP-0007RZ-00@???>,
Nigel Metheringham <Nigel.Metheringham@???> wrote:

>> And I do know that comparisions I have made between perl and c
>> programs doing the same thing (after subtracting out the compilation
>> phase or by running long enough that it is negligible) show that perl
>> was orders of magnitude slower.
>
>I am slightly stunned by this. In general I have found the difference
>between doing serious work in perl and C to be within an order of
>magnitude (assuming competent coding) and sometimes perl can be faster
>because the people who wrote its library are very smart cookies.
>Benchmarks can usually be made to prove whatever you wish, and perl is
>certainly much faster to write a given function within unless you have
>a very well provisioned C toolkit.

Certianly. I mave have overstated my observations. It was a subjective
not quantitative observation.

And I also agree that in some cases it might actually be faster. It
almost always is faster to develop in.

--
Stuart Lynne <sl@???>      604-461-7532      <http://edge.fireplug.net>
PGP Fingerprint: 28  E2  A0  15  99  62  9A  00   88  EC  A3  EE  2D  1C  15  68