Re: [Exim] Opinions sought: Exim and MYSQL

Author: Stuart Lynne
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Opinions sought: Exim and MYSQL
In article <Pine.LNX.4.10.9907161931160.23347-100000@???>,
Peter Lister <P.Lister@???> wrote:
>On 15 Jul 1999, Stuart Lynne wrote:

>I appreciate that this is getting off topic for Exim, but the point is
>that embedding perl in a server is not to be rejected just because it
>"seems big" and is (usually) interpreted; the potential advantages are
>great.

Actually I think that it still is interpreted. You just avoid the
preliminary compilation of perl source to the intermediate structures
that the perl run-time uses to actually run. I.e. as far as I know
perl does not do native code generation.

And I do know that comparisions I have made between perl and c programs
doing the same thing (after subtracting out the compilation phase
or by running long enough that it is negligible) show that perl was
orders of magnitude slower.

If your server at the expected load can run on the box you can afford
then perl is an option. If you need to scale it up then you have to
see if it is cheaper to buy more CPU or replace the perl.

--
Stuart Lynne <sl@???>      604-461-7532      <http://edge.fireplug.net>
PGP Fingerprint: 28  E2  A0  15  99  62  9A  00   88  EC  A3  EE  2D  1C  15  68