Re: [EXIM] multipart/report delivery status messages

Top Pagina
Auteur: Leonardo Boselli
Aan: Dave C.
CC: Microwave Systems Eximlist Exploder, Mike Richardson, exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [EXIM] multipart/report delivery status messages
On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, Dave C. wrote:
> I'll assume, being on the eximlist, you know how RBL works.
>
> My server listens to the imrss, and blocks mail from hosts listed
> therein. The server at that address was reported to imrss by someone,
> which subsequently tested it and found it open. As far as notice, I
> beleive IMRSS sends mail to postmaster@[the machine in question] to let

No, they never sent anything (I am sure since I am the postmaster of
that machine) !!!!
> you know you are listed and why. As far as notice beforehand, that
> makes the whole point of blocking mail from relays useless. Usually
> spam is coming though NOW, and it needs to be cut off NOW. Waiting any
> significant time for notification allows all the spam through still.

(...)
> > The third that i used previously was the backup one. I had to "open" it
> > for a few hours since due some works by our ISP dialup addresses were
> Well, in those few hours, someone must have sent some mail through your
> machine that upset someone enough for them to report it to imrss.

I have checked the log since 17/6 and i have found only 14 messages that
come outside my domain and used that machine as a relay: 13 of them came
from one of our user dialing-in fron another domain,
was the fourteenth one was sent to a user of another domain, that have
that machine as secondary MX, so even that one was legitimate.

I have to add that that "open" relay use a different approach: any message
that have more than 50 addresses is considered a cantidate of spam, if
coming from outside, are also considered candidate messages from the same
user (outside the domain) when this user send more than 50 messages.
So the imrss test that occours only once would pass (since it is a single
message to a single addressee)