Re: [EXIM] Exim getting Signal 11

Author: Sheldon Hearn
To: efinley
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Exim getting Signal 11

On Tue, 29 Jun 1999 04:24:30 GMT, Elliot Finley wrote:

> About four days ago, it started exiting on Signal 11. [...] Is there
> any way to know what is making it crash?

SIGSEGV (11) is the bane of our existance. :-)

While it's possible that the program is just being stupid and tries to
reference memory outside its allocated regions, the fact the problem
only "started" manifesting "about four days ago" makes it sound more
sinister.

I'd say there's either something _massive_ in your queue that's causing
Exim to use so much memory that the system kills it (in FreeBSD, the
signal used would be SIGBUS (10), but you haven't told us what platform
you're using) or you've developed flakiness in your system.

When I say flakiness, I mean that you recently installed an unhappy
kernel (possibly over-optimised) or a hardware fault has developed. For
an interesting discussion on the nightmare of the SIGSEGV signal, see:

    http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11/

I wouldn't bother with this until you've looked at and responded to
Philip's reply, though.

Ciao,
Sheldon.