Re: [EXIM] multipart/report delivery status messages

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Georg v. Zezschwitz
A: Mike Richardson
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] multipart/report delivery status messages
Hi,

> Most 'people' don't tend to be sys admin who have to deal with
> the bounces and other mail problems. Mail admin would normally be
> unix admin who don't have the time to mess with graphical toy email
> clients.

What I was speaking of is the use of Exim as central mailserver.

The bounces will be received by you, the postmaster, but by the
sender as well - mostly a poor Windows user.

And if anybody resends a mail, that's hopefully the sender and
not the postmaster.

> Plain text has worked for a long time, still works and is likely to
> work for a long time to come. Lets not move just because we can.

uuencode has worked for a long time, does still work, and
I tend to prefer it for "Unix to Unix"-sysadm-communication :-).

However, there are good reasons why MIME has become a bit more
popular for attachments than uuencode, and these reasons are
pretty similar to the reasons, why some people seem to want
MIME-stylish bounce mails:

- A well defined structure
- A formal part describing the failure reason, defined by RFCs
- Content saving

The lack of comfort of a very certain MUA is not a good argument
against an option for a MTA.

And the old-stylish bounce message does certainly not work fine
for anything else than plain 7bit ascii messages, and has never
done.

Greetings,

Georg