Re: [EXIM] Mail bouncing from cyberspace.org with 553

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Sudhakar Chandrasekharan
A: Tabor J. Wells
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] Mail bouncing from cyberspace.org with 553
On Wed, Jun 23, 1999 at 03:45:02PM -0400, did Tabor J. Wells write:
> Umm, it looks pretty clearly to me that if something is misconfigured it's
> on their end. Although, I would take that customized response to mean that
> rahul21@??? is no longer a valid account there.
> Did they give you any reason why they felt it was your issue? Do you get
> the same response emailing postmaster@????

rahul21 *is* a valid user in that domain. I am able to receive emails from
him. BTW, my emails to postmaster@??? bounced too.

When I finally corresponded with one of the admins (cyberspace.org is a
free service run by volunteers) I was told that their "553 One generation
passeth away ..." message was to block spammers (I don't have that email
with me right now) or some such thing.

I posted my question the debian-users mailing list too and someone helped
me fix it. You see, the problem was with my EHLO. Exim's EHLO seemed to
be getting my machine's name from /etc/hosts. My /etc/hosts only had one
entry - for localhost.

When talking to cyberspace.org exim used to say:

SMTP>> EHLO www

SMTP<< 250-grex.cyberspace.org Hello aunet.org [216.103.113.202],
pleased to meet you.

I changed my /etc/hosts to:

my.ip.add.ress    www.aunet.org    www
127.0.0.1        www                localhost

and restarted exim and tried again. Now the conversation between exim and
cyberspace.org is:

SMTP>> EHLO www.aunet.org

SMTP<< 250-grex.cyberspace.org Hello aunet.org [216.103.113.202],
    pleased to meet you

And the test mail goes through.

Oddly, when I was using sendmail as my MTA (with the old /etc/hosts) for a
couple of days my mails to cyberspace.org went through fine. Wonder where
sendmail got its sense of self-identity from.

Thanks.

Thaths
--
"If there were any justice, my face would be on a bunch of crappy
                 merchandise" -- Homer J. Simpson