Re: [EXIM]

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Paul Walsh
CC: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [EXIM]
On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Paul Walsh wrote:

> Is there a way of, when rejecting such messages, sending an auto-reply along
> the lines of "Sorry, but we are unable to deliver your message because it is
> being sent from an un-recognised IP address. Please contact your Service
> Provider" ?

The only possibility here is to make use of the prohibition_message
facility to add a site-specific comment to the SMTP error message.
However, it isn't possible to determine that failure of a reverse lookup
was in fact the cause of the prohibition. Maybe I should do something
about that.

> It'd be even better if there were some mechanism whereby the recipient could
> be sent a message from Postmaster (or whoever) informing them that a message
> from "sender at IP address" was rejected and explaining why.

(1) The sender is unknown at the time the rejection is determined
(connection time), though I suppose if you use a _recipients rejection
it would be known by then.

(2) There may be many recipients. Some of them may be mailing lists...

(3) What if the rejected message is spam? Being told "I have rejected
spam for you" each time is just about as bad as receiving the spam itself.