Re: [EXIM] Problems after install.

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Hugh Sasse
To: Philip Hazel
CC: EXIM users list, Andrew Rylott
Betreff: Re: [EXIM] Problems after install.
On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Philip Hazel wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Hugh Sasse wrote:
>
> > but today I have entries in the logfile like:
> >
> > 1999-06-21 09:08:15 10vt0A-0005Te-00 == ###@dmu.ac.uk D=userforward defer
> > (-1): failed to open /home/###/.forward (userforward director): Permission
> > denied (euid=0 egid=1)
> >
> > where ### is hiding the user's login name.
> >
> > This is because the user has his home directory NFS mounted from
> > elsewhere.
>
> ... without root permission, apparently.

    Right. OK I can sort that out.  Thank you.

> > I cannot see anything in the PS version of the manual about
> > this, there is only one index entry for NFS, and that doesn't seem to
> > explain what I need to set to fix this.
>
> Index may be bad (noted for next edition), the the information is there,
> under the "seteuid" option of the forwardfile director.

    Thanks.  (I appreciate that getting indices right is a real pain.
    I just looked and Solaris no longer has the ptx command which
    used to create an interesting and useful form of index. But I
    digress.)

> > What is the correct way to end SMTP sessions into exim? The other admin
> > here was trying to expn (which I had not enabled), and in
> > Sendmail 8.6.12/8.6.12 we could just type quit to end the session.
>
> Eh? That works normally. Can you reproduce this?

    Yes, but I have tried it on another machine and it works fine!
    When I have fixed the root access thing I will re-instate
    exim on the machine that failed, (I switched back to the
    old sendmail for the time being) and try to get you a transcript
    of the failure.

    Thank you.

> > Should installing exim have any impact on ZPOP?
>
> No.

    Thanks.  Well, zpop is a bit old now (1997), so if there is a
    newer pop server for free that people would recommend then
    I would be glad to hear about that.

> --
> Philip Hazel            University of Cambridge Computing Service,
> ph10@???      Cambridge, England. Phone: +44 1223 334714.

    Thank you again
    Hugh
    hgs@???