[EXIM] Domain names and IP addresses used in documentation

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Chris Thompson
A: exim-users
Asunto: [EXIM] Domain names and IP addresses used in documentation
RFC 2606 (aka BCP 32) "Reserved Top Level DNS Names" is finally published,
after a truely gargantuan gestation period... [I believe it went through
15 revisions as an Internet Draft, many much longer than the final RFC.]

With the threat of a flood of new TLDs looming ever closer, should the Exim
documentation be rewritten to avoid all those domains ref.book, fict.film,
and so on, and use *.example instead, as this RFC recommends? As the authors
say

| Even examples used "only" in documentation can end up being coded and
| released or cause conflicts due to later real use and the possible
| acquisition of intellectual property rights in such "example" names.

One could also query the choice of IP numbers used in the Exim documentation.
I am sure it is flattering to Cambridge University to see so many references
to 131.111/16, but I am not sure it is altogether wise! Maybe it would be
better to use the RFC 1918 (BCP 5) private networks (10/8, 172.16/12, and
192.168/16) in more places.

Chris Thompson               Cambridge University Computing Service,
Email: cet1@???    New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QG,
Phone: +44 1223 334715       United Kingdom.