Re: [EXIM] Exim crash but how odd!

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Marga Rodriguez Rodriguez
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Exim crash but how odd!
On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Marga Rodriguez Rodriguez wrote:

> We are running Exim 2.05 in Solaris 2.5.1, we use the ndbm.h of
> Solaris 2.5.1 and I detect that some mails only SOME mails to
> SOME users of ONE machine are failing. When exim tries delivery
> these mails crash with a core (Segmentation Fault(coredump)).

Can you get any information out of the core dump?

One obvious thing to try is to upgrade to the latest release of Exim
(3.02), though I don't know of any bug like this that has been fixed.

> DNS lookup of qf.ub.es (MX) succeeded
> ksh: 2597 Segmentation Fault(coredump)

Does this happen every time for the same message? As it seems to be
related to DNS lookups, you could in fact try with -d11 in order to get
the debugging output from the resolver.

> DNS lookup of qf.ub.es (MX) succeeded
> DNS lookup of dept.qf.ub.es (A) succeeded
> DNS lookup of esgbox.ub.es (A) succeeded
> DNS lookup of mailgate.ub.es (A) succeeded

That is slightly strange. It suggests that the lookup for the MX record
did not also include the A records in the answer, which is normally
done. When I try this from here, I don't see those (A) lookups, because
the addresses come back with the MX. However, that may not be at all
relevant to the crash.

Philip