[EXIM] Exim for dialup use [was Why should I use Exim over Q…

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: Exim
Subject: [EXIM] Exim for dialup use [was Why should I use Exim over Qmail?]

vadik@??? said:
> Diapup is just a host wrich needs to receive no connections (except
> from localhost, if people on this machine use MH), which sometimes
> wants to re-write all the outgoing addresses, and usually sends all
> the outgoing mail to a smarthost.

There are a few other wrinkles - especially if you want to avoid either
dragging up the external connection every time there is a new message
(ie for DNS lookups), or if the external link is not bought up
automatically then DNS lookups and connects will fail when the host is
offline.

I'll see if I can get the eximconf script added onto the web site,
assuming its useful for more than just debian. Other tips for dialup
use (which I have never really done myself - thats the problem with all
these people who are used to permanent connectivity) could also be put
up - best thing might be to pass those to Philip for inclusion in the
FAQ.

    Nigel.

--
[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham@??? ]