Re: [EXIM] Why should I use Exim over Qmail?

Autor: Johann Spies
A: Andromeda
CC: Anand Buddhdev, Exim
Assumpte: Re: [EXIM] Why should I use Exim over Qmail?
On Mon, 24 May 1999, Andromeda wrote:

> For the beginner setting up qmail is a daunting task, whereas Exim was
> simple to use. However, I would imagine as one progresses, qmail may become
> easier to use.

I did not find exim that easy to configure. As a linux newbie I could get
smail going without a problem three or for years ago. When I upgraded my
linux, I could not get smail to work and tried exim. It took me quite a
few days and many help from the debian-users mailing list before I
could get it to work. Only recently, after help from this list, could I
configure it to my satisfaction.

I found the documentation of exim overwhelming. For somebody who does not
want to know all the technical detail of exim, and who just want to set it
up for a simple dialup-user-system, I could not find a quick and easy
explanation of how to do it. Neiter did the configuration script help.

I have never used qmail. I tried to install it, but also could not get the
setup right.

After many days of frustration I had with exim, I now enjoy it and no
longer have problems.

Johann.

| Johann Spies                                 Windsorlaan 19              |
| jhspies@???                3201 Pietermaritzburg             |
| Tel/Faks Nr. +27 331-46-1310               Suid-Afrika (South Africa)  |

     "Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen
      me, thou hast believed. Blessed are they that have not
      seen, and yet have believed."           John 20:29