Re: [EXIM] small patch to arch-type

Author: Philip Hazel
To: NoRM
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] small patch to arch-type
On Fri, 28 May 1999, NoRM wrote:

> I just went to upgrade to 3.01, and noticed that the build directory
> created was called 'build-NetBSD-NetBSD'. Because NetBSD as standard sets
> $MACHTYPE to 'NetBSD' rather than the architecture of the machine. So
> here's a little patch:

Hmm. All the various OS that I have accounts on, including a NetBSD 1.3
system, do not set ARCHTYPE at all. However, they do set MACHTYPE to
weird and wonderful things. I don't think I'd like to put in an
overriding use of MACHTYPE at this stage, because it would be
incompatible on so many systems with what Exim has done previously.
For example, on Solaris we have

sparc-sun-solaris2.5

which is not the machine's architecture of course (that is just 'sparc'
and that's what uname -p says).

Are you using a NetBSD greater than 1.3?

I wonder what I should do about this? Do any other readers have any
ideas? The name ARCHTYPE as used in the file could be changed to
something like EXIM_ARCHTYPE, I suppose.