Re: [EXIM] Collecting current stats on exim

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Nigel Metheringham
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Collecting current stats on exim
On Wed, 26 May 1999, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> Also in perl this is *very* easy to do - the File::Tail module (from
> memory - I may have the name wrong) makes it very easy to camp on the
> end of the log file - even handling log rollover transparently.

Not hard in C either - eximon does it. One problem is that log_level can
change what you do and don't see.

It has been pointed out that writing to a named pipe is relatively
cheap. An alternative would be an option to get Exim to write all
potential log lines (independently of log_level) to some named pipe, if
it exists. Then the processing program can sit on the end of that.