Re: [EXIM] Doing address verification during SMTP phase

Author: James FitzGibbon
To: Nigel Metheringham
CC: Per Steinar Iversen, exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Doing address verification during SMTP phase
* Nigel Metheringham (Nigel.Metheringham@???) [990525 11:58]:

> Exim is very poor on collected to-date stats. However doing these is
> problematic - it could however be done in a similar fashion to the
> current retry etc databases

Since many people mention MRTG when asking for this, might it be an idea to
look at RRDtool (Round-Robin Database), the backend data system for MRTG
v3.x ? Last I heard (during Tobi's talk at LISA last year) it was still in
flux, but AFAIK, the idea is to have command line tools that allow you to
plug data points into the database, and then have multiple tools that can
pull the data out and represent it different ways (one tool would look like
MRTG v2.x, etc.)

If this functionality is packaged as a libary interface, it could be added
to Exim as an optional feature, much as libwrap is currently implemented.

There is more information on RRDtool at
http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/.

Thoughts ?

--
j.

James FitzGibbon (JF647)                                        james@???
EHLO Solutions                                       Voice/Fax +1 416 410-0100