Re: [EXIM] Suggestion/tiny wishlist item

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Microwave Systems Eximlist Exploder
CC: Marc Haber, exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Suggestion/tiny wishlist item
On Tue, 11 May 1999, Microwave Systems Eximlist Exploder wrote:

> Aha.. the problem is with the rbl_reject_recipients, and the logging
> wrt that.. _that_ loges the helo name when recorded the rejected
> recipients,

Indeed. And it logs it in exactly the same format as any host logging
information - the helo name is given in parentheses.

> and doesn't make it clear that it is the helo name, not the
> real DNS-derived name of the host.. It would be nice if it said "helo="

The reason for using parens is that they are 2 characters long whereas
"helo=" is 5 characters long. In log files that are many megabytes in
size, brevity is helpful, I think. That is why I used things like <=
rather than "received from".

> before the name in the parens, and possibly a run-time config item to
> force a reverse DNS to be done if it hasnt already, and have the result
> logged with the IP address..

Do other people want this? It will slow things down and add yet another
frilly option...