Re: [EXIM] sender_host_[accept|reject]_relay and performance…

Author: Leonardo Boselli
To: Microwave Systems Eximlist Exploder
CC: Nigel.Metheringham, Marc Haber, exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] sender_host_[accept|reject]_relay and performance?
On 11 May 99, at 10:48, Microwave Systems Eximlist Ex wrote:
> On Tue, 11 May 1999, Peter Galbavy wrote:
> > On Mon, May 10, 1999 at 11:44:12AM -0400, Microwave Systems Eximlist Exploder wrote:
> > > Hrm.. Although I suppose ISP's could get one more level stricter, and
> > > block incoming port 25 _to_ dialup blocks.... Hrm..
> > Then they wouldn't be an ISP, but Freeserve or AOL instead.
> I do happen to be an ISP, and the 19.95/mo dynamic dialup access
> doesn't inherently include the right to run an MTA on your end of that
> connection. You wanna run an MTA, get a static/dedicated dialup.
> I was suggesting blocking inbound SMTP to _dynamic_ pools only..

The fact that an isp do want or do not its users use an MTA on a
dialup connection is completely indipendent from blocking inbound
connections from dial up blocks.
For example ISP A could be accepting thet some or all its users
use a MTA on dialup connection. ISP B instead would not like it.
But What would occour if B blocks incoming mail comiing from
dialup connections from A domain ? A legitimate user at A could
not send its mail to B users, who should have to blame ? A or B ?
I have accounts with 3 different providers.
Two of them strongly recommend using their mail server for
ougoing mail, but it is only a recommendation. They only threat
they do is banning some users if they use their machines do
spamming (even if involuntarily, due to an open relay) , but if one
does a legitimate use they does not do anything (and this is an
official statement) ...
The third one on the other part (althought i have a very special
agreement) _require_ me to use another server, or at least run my
mta (again with caveats against open relays) (If I wished to use
their one I should have to pay a -althought very little- fee for that
service).
BTW when the permanent line at work is down often i connect on
one of these providers to send my waiting mail. I just do it by
rerouting mail throught another machine that is in dialup as a smart-
host, so keeping control if the e-mail is delivered or not.
Incidentally the second of the provider (That is the one that ask
most louder not to use dialup MTA) assign ip-addresses scattered,
together with fixed ones and servers, so one should select host by
host.
(A note: all three these provider open an account only when the
one that ask it is present at one of their office (#2 and #3) or do
provide the servicer only on a call-back basis ( #1) so again having
prove of identity throught the phone company )
Leonardo Boselli
nucleo informatico e telematico
Dipartimento Ingegneria Civile
Universita` di Firenze